注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 3522|回复: 13

My English Study

[复制链接]
发表于 2007-2-9 13:30:02 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Before I consider this article, I am used to think it in Chinese but another inspiration hit me when I was reading the IELTS learning articles. Well, I am going to finish my experience in English. Hopefully, it can give you a flavor of IELTS development.

It is no doubt that our English study is a big engineer. You cannot separate it into different parts in different times. So does your IELTS learning. However, most people here would like to make progress in short term. What can I say is keeping practicing. There are lots of ways of doing that in the websites. On the other hand, you must remember that this is compensation to your English because you are lack of accumulated exercises before.

Some errors are still remaining in my English, even when I am writing this article. Hopefully, some people who can point them out please let me know. We can both polish our English and make good marks in IELTS, Tofel, GRE, GMAT, etc. Now, I am going to go back to trace my experience which I would like to share.

I started to learn English when I was 12 years old. At that time, I was just a childish boy. Maybe I have the language gift. My English exam grade was higher than my classmates. However, when I went to high school, my grade was down to fail level because I was crazy about my table-tennis games. My Mum was anger with this but my gift might be still there. When I went to the exam of National University Entrance, my English part was back. I passed the exam and became a deputy of University English Class.

My University life was spent with English. In fact, when all the classmates around me were playing or learning other subjects, English was my lover because I would not let my tutor down. I was a deputy of English class so I study English harder than other diligences. There came the results that I failed in other diligences but my English is the best in my class.

At that time, there were no English native speakers who taught students in my University. I had to pretend to be a teacher in the University to join the English training class for teachers. I made it and it brought me with native speaker face to face talking experience. I overcame the shyness and fear to talk in reality. I said goodbye to deaf-and-dumb English from that time on.

Later on, I studied in New Oriental English training school. I met Mr. Wang, Qiang who can speak native English but he is a Chinese. I made my mind to be like him. In that school, there are many of English master-hands. Mr. Hu, Min taught me writing. Mr. Wang,Qiang taught me speaking and Mr. Jiang, Bo guided me how to learn English by <New Conception> books. It took me a year to forge my English full-timely. I wore the earphone to listen to joy fm and easy fm all day all night so it brought me a pure English around surrounding. Then I found that my Chinese was retrogressing. Now, my wife is still laughing at me by this.

After study in Beijing, I went to the UK for my master degree. However, I just have Tofel grade rather than IELTS. Therefore, I have to study IELTS in the UK. Fortunately, my English environment is fairly better than Beijing. Finally, I had 6.5 in IELTS(A) by six-month-study.

To conclusion, if you would like to have an enhanced mark in IELTS, I would like to suggest you some points:

1.       Love English and keep practicing.
2.       Give you a good language environment
3.       Do English jobs
4.       Practicing by English Bibles.
5.       Think in English way.

在这里,我不得不用汉语说明一下,因为涉及的具体的事物的时候,我很难做到用英语思考。这就是为什么我要移民,我要送儿子到国外念书,因为我不是天生的bilinguals.

1.       对英语有一种狂热,这样能促使人养成很多学习英语的习惯,比如喜爱英文电影,听英文歌曲并且学唱,喜爱英文电视剧,钻研剧本等等.
2.       在国内很难找到英语环境,要么天天听广播要么找个语伴,因此最好住在大中城市,这样fm中就有广播节目,不用天天调voa或者bbc,当然用网络也能解决问题,但是找语伴就得在大中城市中比较容易了,中小城市老外很少涉足,咱们找起来也不容易!成龙学英语就是找的英语家教,要不他也没念过几年书怎么能学得那么快呢,就是语言环境!
3.       有条件的找能用英语的工作,最好能道说英语的国家,也是归结的一个问题上,语言环境问题,并且不断地练习。
4.       对于应试,网络上有很多应试技巧,实在不行找一个培训机构突击,但是这是治标不治本,重要的还是平时打好基础。
5.       用英语思维,这是环境的潜移默化,还是需要环境。但是这里我要提到的是解决一个误区,学英语不等于学翻译,翻译需要中文也好才行,而且要经过一定的训练!能用英语的思维,那说明你的英文水平已经在中级以上,就是多年不用,你也很难再把你的英语水平降低,只要考试前稍微突击以下,就可以枯木逢春!
以上只是一家之言,欢迎讨论!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-9 13:48:38 | 显示全部楼层

回复: My English Study

想请问一下LZ的IELTS写作是多少分?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-2-9 14:29:43 | 显示全部楼层

我的写作只有6分.
我有好几年每学习英语了,都退化了!
g类的什么题型我还不知道呢!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-9 14:49:14 | 显示全部楼层

To LZ: thanks for sharing. what was your tofel score then?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-2-9 15:09:05 | 显示全部楼层

My tofel is really bad. My highest score is 537. I am not good at tofel. IELTS is my favorite because it can reflect my real ability. Last but not least, if you could afford study abroad, you can choose English training schools in England. Wheather they are alone or in university language centre, if they can do IELTS exam. Pls go without hesitation. I feel that some teachers in those IELTS exam centre will help you gain the score you wish. Not only in ability, but also in emotion.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-9 15:23:38 | 显示全部楼层

Post by joehe760219;570750
To conclusion, if you would like to have an enhanced mark in IELTS, I would like to suggest you some points:

1. Love English and keep practicing.
2. Give you a good language environment
3. Do English jobs
4. Practicing by English Bibles.
5. Think in English way.
you are doing a great job~~~
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-9 15:38:48 | 显示全部楼层

Post by joehe760219;570809
Last but not least, if you could afford study abroad, you can choose English training schools in England. Wheather they are alone or in university language centre, if they can do IELTS exam. Pls go without hesitation. I feel that some teachers in those IELTS exam centre will help you gain the score you wish. Not only in ability, but also in emotion.

did you learn writing in the UK? the one who taught you writing must be a legal professional. look at your article. you never use contractions
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-2-9 16:01:11 | 显示全部楼层

I made a lot of mistakes because I seldom check what I wrote. Well,what I said here is my experience. It might fit for you. It is true that my teacher influnce my writing because I am one of his works. Maybe it is not fit for your flavour because AME is everywhere by Hollawood movies. However, I prefer BrE. It is real and pure English. And also I like AME as it is easy to learn.Whatever, I am kind of mix. That's the way of life!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-9 22:31:11 | 显示全部楼层

don't take me wrong. i was meant nothing about mistake. i was just curious to the fact that you seemed trying to avoid using contractions in writing. instead of "I'm" you wrote "I am". this was actually one of the first few fundamental rules i got to know in legal writing class. so i was wondering whether you had the same in the uk. in fact, you study english very hard and i'm of the view that british english sounds more elegant than american english.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-10 07:12:17 | 显示全部楼层

Post by joehe760219;570809
  I am not good at tofel. IELTS is my favorite because it can reflect my real ability.  
in my opinion,both of tofel and ielts are a standarizing and scientizing testing. Maybe the grammar makes the difference.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-10 15:38:38 | 显示全部楼层

i guess exam-taking skills may work better with toefl than ielts. but if your english is above a certain threshold, these two tests are equally easy/difficult. i didn't have ielts. from my experience with toefl, i tend to agree with LZ in that the toefl score i had didn't reflect my real english proficiency.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-11 01:00:01 | 显示全部楼层

Post by wondering;571406
  but if your english is above a certain threshold, these two tests are equally easy/difficult. i didn't have ielts. from my experience with toefl, i tend to agree with LZ in that the toefl score i had didn't reflect my real english proficiency.

i totally agree your what-if statement here, in a way, these two tests should be equally easy/difficult.
by the way, could you clearify here how your current toefl score reflect your real english proficiency, underdoing or overdoing?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-11 01:19:28 | 显示全部楼层

Post by 老火靓汤;571540
by the way, could you clearify here how your current toefl score reflect your real english proficiency, underdoing or overdoing?

Humbly speaking, my toefl score is at least 30 points higher than it should have been , and the writing grade is at least 1 point lower than it should have been.

what do you think about your test result and your real language proficiency?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-11 02:50:11 | 显示全部楼层

Post by wondering;571551

what do you think about your test result and your real language proficiency?
My tofel score is a shame for me. Grammar and writing lets me down. It should reflect my real english proficiency anyway, i didn't believe my eyes, though. I just got 500 only.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|驿路枫情加拿大华人网

GMT+8, 2024-9-20 20:31 , Processed in 0.133874 second(s), 7 queries , Gzip On, File On.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表