QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 3637|回复: 4

Lease Negotiation

[复制链接]
发表于 2007-2-5 01:26:48 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Nov. 15, 2006

I got a lease document prepared by the Indian real estate agent who has agreed to rent me a furnished studio apartment in Arlington. Having read through the four pages agreement, I have to say I am not legal professional, he is!

Among the various terms and conditions, one paragraph about availability of the rented unit calls my close attention as it seems saying the landlord is allowed to terminate the lease when the unit becomes unavailable at any time for any reason (e.g. he gets someone who wants to pay more) and the only liability of the landlord in such case is to just return the security deposit. It then exposes me under a risk of losing the unit at any time for any reason without any remedy. The paragraph reads as this:

IT IS also agreed that a different unit may be assigned to the tenant if the intended unit as described herein is not available at any time for any reason. The Landlord’s liability shall be limited to only a refund of the security deposit if another vacant unit belonging to Landlord is not available at the time. This Lease will then automatically be terminated.

It doesn't sound fair, does it?

So I wrote back and asked if he can clarify that the term only applies to limited circumstances, e.g. fire, natural disaster, and so on. Shortly after that we had a phone conversation. He said the term is designed for only emergency situations and I ,as well as his other tenants, always over-concern about it. I'm not sure if I can trust him so I gooled him. You have to admit the power of Internet. I got his Bio! From the Bio he does look like a business professional (he interestingly graduated from my school as well). I still don't feel comfortable with signing a lease having the term in its current form. Maybe I just have to if you think how many unreasonable terms you have seen from your service providers like telephone company, car rentals etc. But I would still try to have some sort of written explanation of that term from him. Then if something unfortunate happened, I would have some evidence to show how this was understood by both parties when we signed the agreement. I'm here trying to practise what I just freshly learned from my contracts law class

Will see how it goes in the next few days.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-5 08:37:07 | 显示全部楼层

回复: Lease Negotiation

i can understand now that why the lawer can be paid much higher in USA. your freshly learning has been cashed in this case.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-2-5 09:25:54 | 显示全部楼层

Post by 老火靓汤;567549
i can understand now that why the lawer can be paid much higher in USA. your freshly learning has been cashed in this case.

you are probably right but do you know how much i paid for the contract law class?

approx. $3600
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-2-5 10:12:56 | 显示全部楼层

Post by wondering;567581
you are probably right but do you know how much i paid for the contract law class?

approx. $3600
my godness, that's something! anyway, in the long run, it is a fat deal.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2007-2-5 10:19:38 | 显示全部楼层

Post by 老火靓汤;567608
my godness, that's something! anyway, in the long run, it is a fat deal.

to get my $$$ paid off quickly, i should try to change apartment every month and negotiate lease every month
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|驿路枫情加拿大华人网

GMT+8, 2024-9-21 20:54 , Processed in 0.204558 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip On, File On.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表